Writing Effectively

It is important for everyone to know how to write effectively. The best way to write effectively is to be clear and concise. You want your sentences to be short and sweet. It is also effective to use sentence variety and correct emphasization. When you learn how to write effectively, your readers will appreciate it.

Here are some examples of how to write effectively:

Writing with clarity

Poor: They searched for the child on the playground with an injury.

Better: They searched for the injured child on the playground.

Reducing Clutter

Poor: Not any of the many preschooler children knew how to read.

Better: None of the preschoolers knew how to read.

Sentence variety

Poor: Cameron Abbott won first place at the dance competition. The dancer is a student is a dancer at Broken Arrow Dance Academy.

Better: Camron Abbott, from Broken Arrow Dance Academy, won first place at the dance competition.

Sentence Emphasis

Poor: University of Oklahoma President David Boren said Monday that the University of Oklahoma is home to a diverse group of students and faculty.

Better: The University of Oklahoma is home to a diverse group of students and faculty, the university president said.

I hope this gives you a little taste of how to write effectively.

Reading Notes: Narayan’s Ramayana, Section D

Hanuman made it to Ravana’s location of dwelling, Lanka. He noticed many different women throughout several houses who appeared to be waiting for Ravana, but Hanuman knew that Ravana was too busy with Sita to remember these other women. Hanuman thought he saw Sita, but realized it was Ravana’s wife instead.

Hanuman finally found Sita, and he noticed that she didn’t look as vibrant or as decorated as she should have been. Ravana’s other women were surrounding her and taunting her. This REALLY reminds me of the Bachelor. Sita wondered if Rama forgot her, and then she decided she would hang herself from a tree, but then Hanuman introduced himself. Hanuman was captured by Ravana, and he warned Ravana that Rama would destroy him if he did not undo this. Ravana set Hanuman’s tail on fire, and in turn, Hanuman set most of Ravana’s capital on fire then returned to Rama.

Large armies were forming on both sides. I can’t help but to imagine the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz. I wonder if they were inspired by this story?

Image result for ramayana monkey
(Thai Ramayana mural by Margery H. Freeman on Learn NC)
Image result for flying monkeys wizard of oz
(Wizard of Oz Pictures Site)

When Ravana’s brother comes to seek refuge and protection from his brother through Rama, he is investigated because of heavy fear and skepticism. Rama says “One who seeks asylum must be given protection. Whatever may happen later, it is our first duty to protect. Even if I am defeated because I have taken him at his word, I would not mind it, I shall still have done the right thing.” This makes me think of current situation and leadership that the U.S. is facing right now… such wisdom and relevance in this text – I admire it and wish our leaders thought similarly.

Narayan’s Ramayana, Kindle Edition. 

Presidential Transition Analysis

Colton Basks

Presidential Transition

The media today shape how many of us view many different things. One of these things is the trump presidential transition. For example, many people would say that the media have portrayed President Trump in way that caused many people to turn against him. However, some of the media coverage on President Trump has been purely informational and avoided one bias or another. An excellent example of this is an article written by CNN journalist Stephen Collinson.

The article was produced by CNN and created by Journalist Stephen Collinson. One of the things that I enjoyed most about this piece was that it refrained from leaning either way in supporting or not supporting Donald Trump. I believe that the sole purpose of the piece was to inform anyone interested on the inauguration and presidential transition. The piece was divided up into parts ranging from Trumps arrival into Washington D.C. to what Trumps first presidential actions would be as president. I found the piece to be well rounded in the way that it fulfilled its purpose in simply informing the audience on the events of the inauguration day.

Because the piece was written after the inauguration took place I think the intended audience was people that potentially did not get the opportunity to watch the inauguration live. Also, it could be intended for someone who simply just wants to experience the inauguration in a different way. The article was tailored specifically for them because it was very detailed in the events on inauguration day. It made following the inauguration step-by-step simple. It also gave some insight on what Trump plans to do in the beginning stages of his presidency.

One thing about this article that really grabbed my attention was the use of video clips that was scattered throughout the article. The writer strategically placed video clips in the article to correlate to whatever he was currently discussing within the article. I think this was an excellent idea because it gives the reader even more of an idea of what was going on in actuality during the inauguration. Not only does this article contain videos, but also there are numerous pictures strategically scattered through the article. Using videos and pictures both, the writer, gives the reader the most realistic experience possible through reading an article.

To me, the interesting thing about this article is that it doesn’t really communicate anything about President Trump other than the fact that he is being sworn in as our nations forty-fifth president. Because the piece is about Trump specifically and included in the article are some of Trumps political ideas the writer couldn’t avoid insinuating that Trump falls on the more conservative side of politics. However, the writer doesn’t seem to agree or disagree on any of these political ideas. He just simply reports what is taking place.

I watched the inauguration live as it happened and then read this article and I found that the events in this article are factual and the content of the article seems to be completely credible. I think that overall the message in this article was holistic and complete. However, I think that the piece would have benefited some if there had been more on Donald Trumps speech. I think that it would’ve given the reader a more real feel of the atmosphere on inauguration day.

The Presidential Transition

I did not plan to watch the Inauguration of a president-elect that I did not support. But given this assignment it was necessary that I did and I can truly say that I am glad I did. The CNN coverage that I watched on January 20th reflected on the shocking outcome of the 2016 election. Instead of ignoring the cut throat campaign season, the journalists addressed a broad spectrum of the day’s events including the somber look on Hillary Clinton’s face. A lot of Americans expected this to be a monumental day on which the first female president was elected. Instead Mrs. Clinton appeared as the wife of a former President rather than as the new President.

Given the fact that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by almost 3 million votes, this was an upsetting, surreal, and emotional day for a lot of Americans. I think it was covered very well considering that much of the audience, being the American people, do not anticipate that this will be a positive and progressive presidency. CNN did not attempt to normalize the most unusual and politically dividing Inauguration in American history. It presented various views and attempted to bring the event into American homes.

When Barack Obama and President Trump stepped into the famous “beast” limousine, reporters commented that they wish they could be a fly on the wall to that conversation. It made me wonder what now former President Obama, who was clearly not in support of President Trump during candidacy, would say in that short ride to the event. Did they talk about the church service they attended that morning? Did they sit in uncomfortable silence? I am picturing the latter, but that was not something about which CNN was able to provide certainty.  Still the commentators allowed us to realize it was a time of significant change in the political landscape.

When Michelle Obama and the First Lady Melania Trump got into their limousine, the reporters reflected on the past 2009 Inauguration when Laura Bush welcomed Michelle Obama. In the 2009 election, it was such a huge milestone to elect the first African American President. Looking back on America’s last inauguration compared to our most recent, one of the biggest changes I noticed was this recurring theme of a peaceful transition. It was almost as if the inaugural traditions were the only thing the reporters could cling on to for support. The news networks, such as CNN, had a significant task to report on the event and provide information to America in a way that was objective but also insightful and meaningful.

As the politicians and public figures walked through the Capitol hallways before the ceremony, there was almost a state of mute nervousness clouding the air and this was not lost in the reporting. The Trump children’s faces were so somber it truly looked like the event could have been mistaken for a funeral march. The reporters noted the serious tone as well. The attitude of this entire day was light years different from the 2009 Inauguration which seemed like a celebration of a new time in America. When reviewing the coverage from eight years ago, the crowd, reporters, and even music had a more positive and uplifting attitude and feeling.

CNN released an article summarizing the Inauguration of our 45th president. They brought up President Trump’s neglect to address the bad blood between republicans and democrats. After one of the nastiest campaign seasons American has ever seen, the thoughts expoused by many of the CNN commentators is that there should have been an olive branch extended to Hillary Clinton and her supporters in the new President’s speech. That is a tradition many presidents have followed during Inauguration speeches. Acknowledging Clinton in a positive light would have been a step in the right direction to unite the American people.

I felt like CNN did a good job of bringing a historic event into the living rooms of America.  Regardless of your political views it was an amazing event.  While many Americans may have chosen to disregard the event, it was important for networks like CNN to carry the event and provide coverage of the event to those who did want to watch and see the first day for the 45th President of the United States.

5-Step Media Critical Process

Description: This artifact by Subaru is called “2017 Subaru Legacy | Subaru Commercial | The Boy Who Breaks Everything.” It starts by showing the main character, which is a little boy. We first see the boy in his living room in front of a castle made out of blocks. As he tries to put a block on top of the castle, the whole thing falls down. Then the scene switches to the boy on a street. He’s holding his bike, but as he moves the handle the whole bike falls apart. Next it switches to a class room, where the little boy is standing at the front next to a learning dummy that shows the internal organs of a human. When he touches one piece everything falls out of the dummy. After that the commercial displays a scene of the boy and his dad taking a chair the boy broke to a furniture shop. Finally, the boy’s kitchen is shown, and as he touches the light switch the light fixture falls out of the ceiling. The last scene shown is the boy getting into the driver seat of the family’s Subaru. His parents run outside worried something may happen. However, when his hands touch the steering wheel, the car does not break. The voice over then says, “At our house we need things that are built to last. That’s why we got a Subaru”. Finally, the commercial ends with, “Love. That’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru.”

Analysis: The pattern that emerges in this commercial is the repeated situations. Every time the little boy touches something, it breaks as soon as his hands make contact with it. The only time that does not happen in the commercial is when he touches the Subaru.

Interpretation: This pattern implies that the boys breaks everything he comes in contact with. However, not when he touches the Subaru. This implies that the Subaru will not break and is built to last.

Evaluation: The overall feelings we got from this commercial were feelings of sympathy for the boy. You see him break things time after time, but then it gets to the Subaru. That is when the commercial does a good job of persuading you to believe the Subaru is a car that is built to last, therefore making you want to buy the car. One of the strengths of this commercial is the music playing in the background. It helps to set the mood of the commercial, making you feel a certain way about what you are seeing. Another strength is the acting of the boy. He is very convincing he is sad about how he always breaks things and then at the end very happy when he does not break the Subaru. A weakness shown in this commercial is you cannot hear what the mom says at the end very well. Her line of expresses concerns to her husband as they see the boy getting into the car helps one see more clearly what is going on in the scene. If you cannot hear her, you are less likely to understand what is going on and therefore less likely to want to buy the car.

Love. That’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

Sydney Hurst

Meg Taylor

Rachel Lewis

JMC-1013-010

Description: This artifact by Subaru is called “2017 Subaru Legacy | Subaru Commercial | The Boy Who Breaks Everything.” It starts by showing the main character, which is a little boy. We first see the boy in his living room in front of a castle made out of blocks. As he tries to put a block on top of the castle, the whole thing falls down. Then the scene switches to the boy on a street. He’s holding his bike, but as he moves the handle the whole bike falls apart. Next it switches to a class room, where the little boy is standing at the front next to a learning dummy that shows the internal organs of a human. When he touches one piece everything falls out of the dummy. After that the commercial displays a scene of the boy and his dad taking a chair the boy broke to a furniture shop. Finally, the boy’s kitchen is shown, and as he touches the light switch the light fixture falls out of the ceiling. The last scene shown is the boy getting into the driver seat of the family’s Subaru. His parents run outside worried something may happen. However, when his hands touch the steering wheel, the car does not break. The voice over then says, “At our house we need things that are built to last. That’s why we got a Subaru”. Finally, the commercial ends with, “Love. That’s what makes a Subaru a Subaru.”

Analysis: The pattern that emerges in this commercial is the repeated situations. Every time the little boy touches something, it breaks as soon as his hands make contact with it. The only time that does not happen in the commercial is when he touches the Subaru.

Interpretation: This pattern implies that the boys breaks everything he comes in contact with. However, not when he touches the Subaru. This implies that the Subaru will not break and is built to last.

Evaluation: The overall feelings we got from this commercial were feelings of sympathy for the boy. You see him break things time after time, but then it gets to the Subaru. That is when the commercial does a good job of persuading you to believe the Subaru is a car that is built to last, therefore making you want to buy the car. One of the strengths of this commercial is the music playing in the background. It helps to set the mood of the commercial, making you feel a certain way about what you are seeing. Another strength is the acting of the boy. He is very convincing he is sad about how he always breaks things and then at the end very happy when he does not break the Subaru. A weakness shown in this commercial is you cannot hear what the mom says at the end very well. Her line of expresses concerns to her husband as they see the boy getting into the car helps one see more clearly what is going on in the scene. If you cannot hear her, you are less likely to understand what is going on and therefore less likely to want to buy the car.

BP 2 1/31/17

Harmony Elementary was tested with an environment that was not conducive to their children’s growth and development, either in or out of the classroom. Safety was not a surety, as was made even more salient for students and the community when a Harmony child was shot and killed.

Principal Robert Cordova acted as a catalyst in the reorganization, innovation, and growth of Harmony Elementary and the community as a whole. Cordova recognized the importance of “we” in effecting change in groups, communities, and societies. He used his clout in the educational field to create a dyadic change process.

First, Cordova sought out input on internal changes from individuals both within and outside the walls of the school. Due to collaborative planning with parents, teachers, other One-LA faculty and staff, and other members of the LA community, Cordova’s team confronted language barriers by hiring an English language development coordinator. Additionally, Harmony Elementary researched various teaching strategies and methodologies.

Following his inclusive, asset-based and -focused approach within the school, Cordova has been able to spread this process to other One-LA schools, and the broader LA metropolitan area.  Through these connections, the greater Los Angeles area has been able to “not only counteract crises, but [to] develop leadership and constituencies for change” (Cortes, 52). Cordova and the Harmony Elementary team established themselves as evidence of the benefit of promoting asset-based assessment and using it as a focus for seeking, effecting and creating positive change that can be utilized at both small and large scale communities.

Cortes, E. (Spring, 2006). Towards a democratic culture. Kettering Review, pp. 46-57.

Design: It’s All Around Us

Design has been a really interesting thing to me in the past few months. I never really thought about how much went into design and how much it could influence people. I really under appreciated it. Now after learning a little bit more about it in my PR Publication class, I have become actively involved in watch design in my everyday life. I am going to look a little deeper into design below.

Take this Dasani vending machine. I never would have looked twice at the side of it. I just knew it was blue and had drinks. I knew there had to be water bottles in there as well. I think Dasani played their brand well with incorporating the blue as part of their brand. When people see a blue vending machine, they are going to think water. If you are the only blue vending machine in the area, well, you’ve then got a business.

This is a poster for a Spring Career Fair by the University of Oklahoma’s Student Life Center. I really think these guys did a great job working with proportion. In this large font you can see what this poster is as soon as you walk in the door. You become interested, so you walk closer. Now you can see that you can “jump start your future.” You think to yourself “Of course I want to do that, why wouldn’t I?” Then you look in closer to find out the details of this event. This poster does a great job in drawing people in.

This is a poster for an interactive panel discussion on campus from the Gender and Equality Center. I really enjoyed the metaphors and symbols used on their poster. Many people know the popular movies depicted in these images. Like the poster scene from Love Actually, and the boombox scene from Say Anything. The poster also depicts someone on their phone using Facebook, indicating that all three of these things are forms of stalking. I really enjoyed how thought provoking the symbols they used are.

Along these posters, I saw this add for a student job. I don’t really know where to start with this one. It looks like it was created on word, which is fine, because that’s all most people can use. I would like to offer some helpful words of improvement though. My main concern would be with it’s balance. See how the columns don’t really match up? The picture is not quite as large as I would have liked it to be. The website is also in an awkward position as well. For this poster, I probably would have set it up in a vertical layout instead.

This is a Target catalog I got in the mail. Honestly, I don’t remember signing up to receive these, but I love it. Target is a place I thoroughly enjoy going to. They are my supplier for all my cute and practical animal bed sheets (see photo below). Target does a great job with minimalism and use of space here on the cover. They used a specific line of home goods that matched together and interested the reader. There is so many items on this cover, but yet it still seems clean and organized (a Target lover’s dream). Target does a great job with matching their ads with their customer base.

Population #2

To begin, when it comes to birth rates, the South has the most on the population trend graph. This could mean a number of things; for example, culture, religion and family values are a huge factor in the South. Migration is high in the South, too. This could be because of the pull of powerhouse Universities, and quality of life in the south. The Midwest region of the United States has experienced a decrease in migration, therefore, there are multiple pushes. These could include fewer job options or intolerance of a certain cultural group. The South region seems more admirable due to the high total migration count. The Northeast seems to be have a lot of “pushes,” which may be due to overpopulation.
The Northeast region of the United States is experiencing significantly high international migration. This could be due to distance from European Countries. The South is also experiencing the same phenomenon, most likely due to the proximity to Mexico.