Sunday, November 1

Today is Sunday of Week 10. Make sure you finish the end-of-week assignments today, and you might want to do some extra credit assignments also! I hope you enjoyed the extra hour of sleep... a real Fall Break would be better, but an hour is something at least. :-)

Class Procedures and Reminders

Project Declarations. You will notice that I have reformatted the Project Declaration, adding some more specific reminders. I spend a couple of hours each week trying to track down missing emails and incomplete assignments, so I hope this new way of presenting the Declaration will be helpful. Especially as the semester gets more hectic in your other classes, the Declaration should help you focus on exactly what you need to do when you turn in your Project each week.

Storybook Stack. I don't update the Storybook stack as often on the weekends, but you can check there to make sure I received your assignment; I'll update it at least once or twice over the weekend. If you want comments back on your assignment sooner rather than later, turn in your assignment on Sunday morning or Sunday afternoon; don't wait until Sunday evening.

Finishing the class. As soon as you have the points you need for the grade you want in the class, you are done. One student has already finished the Myth-Folklore class (congratulations, Justin!). Finishing this class early is a really great strategy in terms of getting ready for exams in your other classes. If you can do some extra credit now and in the next couple of weeks, you will be able to finish the class early, perhaps before Thanksgiving!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

HULKSPEAK. This delightful article by James Harbeck gives you some grammatical insight into HULKSPEAK: A linguist's guide to HULK SMASH.

Indian Words in English: Today's word from India in English is TANK, which comes to English from Indian tankh. For details, see this blog post.

Featured Storybook: Tales from the Bayou. Meet Mama Nora, who is full of stories from the backwoods and bayous, and she also has some gumbo and other good Creole cooking to share with you as well. So, be warned: don't read this Storybook on an empty stomach!

Free Book Online: Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Edith Nesbit. This blog post provides additional information about the plays presented in this book including Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, and King Lear, among others.

India Comic Book: Pradyumna: Son of Krishna. This blog post provides additional information about the comic book which is on Reserve in Bizzell Library. The story focuses on Krishna's son Pradyumna, who is an incarnation of Kama, the god of love!

Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is As you make your bed, so you must lie on it (a French proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. Here is the French version: Comme on fait son lit, on se couche.

Today's Video: Funky Pawa. This is one of my very favorite Maati Baani videos! The music is great, and so is the animation!

Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat is Creativity requires thoughtful observation. Details at the blog.

Event on Campus: There will be a Dia de Los Muertos Street Festival from 4PM-10:30PM at the Lloyd Noble Center with music, dance, face painting, arts & crafts, food trucks, and more (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.

Sunday, November 1

Today is Sunday of Week 10. Make sure you finish the end-of-week assignments today, and you might want to do some extra credit assignments also!

Class Procedures and Reminders

Project Declarations. You will notice that I have reformatted the Project Declaration, adding some more specific reminders. I spend a couple of hours each week trying to track down missing emails and incomplete assignments, so I hope this new way of presenting the Declaration will be helpful. Especially as the semester gets more hectic in your other classes, the Declaration should help you focus on exactly what you need to do when you turn in your Project each week.

Storybook Stack. I don't update the Storybook stack as often on the weekends, but you can check there to make sure I received your assignment; I'll update it at least once or twice over the weekend. If you want comments back on your assignment sooner rather than later, turn in your assignment on Sunday morning or Sunday afternoon; don't wait until Sunday evening.

Finishing the class. As soon as you have the points you need for the grade you want in the class, you are done. One student has already finished the Myth-Folklore class (congratulations, Justin!). Finishing this class early is a really great strategy in terms of getting ready for exams in your other classes. If you can do some extra credit now and in the next couple of weeks, you will be able to finish the class early, perhaps before Thanksgiving!

The following items are for fun and exploration:

HULKSPEAK. This delightful article by James Harbeck gives you some grammatical insight into HULKSPEAK: A linguist's guide to HULK SMASH.

Indian Words in English: Today's word from India in English is TANK, which comes to English from Indian tankh. For details, see this blog post.

Featured Storybook: Tales from the Bayou. Meet Mama Nora, who is full of stories from the backwoods and bayous, and she also has some gumbo and other good Creole cooking to share with you as well. So, be warned: don't read this Storybook on an empty stomach!

Free Book Online: Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Edith Nesbit. This blog post provides additional information about the plays presented in this book including Hamlet, Macbeth, Othello, and King Lear, among others.

India Comic Book: Pradyumna: Son of Krishna. This blog post provides additional information about the comic book which is on Reserve in Bizzell Library. The story focuses on Krishna's son Pradyumna, who is an incarnation of Kama, the god of love!

Words of Wisdom: Today's proverb poster is As you make your bed, so you must lie on it (a French proverb). Details at the Proverb Lab. Here is the French version: Comme on fait son lit, on se couche.

Today's Video: Funky Pawa. This is one of my very favorite Maati Baani videos! The music is great, and so is the animation!

Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat is Creativity requires thoughtful observation. Details at the blog.

Event on Campus: There will be a Dia de Los Muertos Street Festival from 4PM-10:30PM at the Lloyd Noble Center with music, dance, face painting, arts & crafts, food trucks, and more (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

Note: You can page back through the older blog posts to see any announcements you might have missed, and you can check out the Twitter stream for information and fun stuff during the day.

Week 10 Myth-Folklore Curation

Here is my new post for Myth-Folklore ... 

NAMAZU. From the History of Geology blog, an article about Namazu: The Earthshaker by David Bressan. In Japanese mythology, Namazu is a giant catfish which causes earthquakes when he moves his tail.

ROCK OF PROMETHEUS. Also from Atlas Obscura is this piece about a cave in the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia where you can supposedly see the actual rock to which the Titan Prometheus was chained as punishment for stealing fire from Olympus.

CEMETERY SYMBOLISM. This graphic Guide to Cemetery Symbolism (graphic by Michelle Enemark, text by Allison C. Meier) turned up in Atlas Obscura.

Week 10 Indian Epics Curation

Here is my new post for Indian Epics

WELLCOME LIBRARY. My favorite discovery was the amazing collection of images at the Wellcome Library Images. I didn't expect that they would have so many images from India, but they do! Just as one example, here is a lovely Shiva with a baby Ganesha:

L0022496 Credit: Wellcome Library, London Shiva and baby Ganesha Watercolour Collection: Iconographic Collections Library reference no.: Iconographic Collection KALIGHAT NO. 22

Detail:

BEL TREE. There was a reference to the sacred Bel tree in Divakaruni's Palace of Illusions, and there is a wonderful Wikipedia article that explains about the tree and also about its religious symbolism in the Hindu tradition, especially in connection with Shiva worship. This image shows a Shiva linga decorated with Bel leaves:

FENRIS'S SACRED STORIES. I read and really enjoyed Morris Fenris's collection of Indian stories. Each story is very short, and the stories are drawn from many different sources. I will definitely write up a detailed Reading Guide for this book so that I can include links to help people learn more about the especially famous stories contained in the collection. You can see a list of the stories here; the book itself does not contain illustrations, so I would like to find good illustrations to use. One story is about Rama and how the Indian palm squirrel got its stripes! 

Schroder House Light Box

This project was an analysis and design project to introduce the use of analysis, composition, construction, and spatial definition through the use of hybrid drawing and modeling techniques in the design process.
This project was to design and construct a Literal and Phenomenal Light Box by creatively combining the work of an artist and an architect:

House: Rietveld Schröder House, 1924
Architect: Gerrit Rietveld

Artwork: Composition No. 8, 1939-42
Artist: Piet Mondrian

• Schroder House board  Schroder house diagrams Schroder house diagrams art boardSchroder house diagrams 2 Schroder house diagrams 3

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Today is Saturday of Week 10... and welcome to the HALLOWEEN EDITION of the class announcements!

Featured Storybooks Here are some Storybooks, past and present, on Halloween themes!

This semester:
Past semesters:

And here are some more items for fun and exploration:

Halloween Grammar. It's the grammar nerd's nightmare!

Indian Words in English: Today's word from India in English is in honor of Halloween candy... because the word CANDY comes to English via Arabic qandi and Sanskrit khanda. For details, see this blog post.

Free Book Online: The Book of Were-Wolves by Sabine Baring-Gould. This blog post provides additional information about the contents of the book.

India Featured Book: Twenty-Two Goblins by Arthur. This blog post provides additional information about this classical Sanskrit story collection about a corpse-demon who is fond of riddles. Here is an 18th-century illustration:

Today's Video: Monster Mash... with the owl dancing along!

Today's Podcast: Here's a Spooky Sooners podcast to enjoy!

Growth Mindset: Today's growth mindset cat is not afraid: Confront your fears. Details at the blog.

Event on Campus: Starting at 2PM, archaeologists will open up their labs in Room 221 Physical Sciences Center to trick-or-treaters and share their research with guests (details). Find out more about this and other events at the Campus Calendar online.

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin...

7 Reasons Why Halloween is Weird but Awesome

1. For one day a year it is socially acceptable to visit strangers houses and ask for free food.

giphy

Who can complain about free KitKats and Nerds?

2. Halloween is the only time adults are free to act like little kids and play dress up.

giphy-1

3. People pay big bucks to have someone scare the living daylight out of them and chase them with a chainsaw

giphy-5That is deeply disturbing when you really think about it…

4. It might be the one time a year you actually speak to your neighbors.

aDlSklLWho are these people?

5. Cobwebs and abandoned buildings suddenly become the hottest decor.

giphy-6Halloween is just another excuse to forget your normal house cleaning routine

6. This is the only time of year where orange is an acceptable color to wear.

cc0d3992c526a5d8060e29873a300e89

7. We cut up vegetables and light them on fire for decoration…

giphy-7I don’t know who decided pumpkins would make a great light but its a pretty strange idea..

Halloween is a celebration of weird, and I love every moment of it.

What Hitchcock movie to watch this Halloween

Halloween (noun): the night of October 31, the eve of All Saints’ Day, commonly celebrated by children who dress in costume and solicit candy or other treats door-to-door.

Yes. It’s finally Halloween. The spookiest and sweetest time of year, and it is HERE.

Let’s Buzzfeed it up in here. (I really shouldn’t act like I’m cool.)

I’m not going to tell you what activities you should be doing this Halloween. Honestly, if you don’t know what Halloween is about by now, your life is sad. Also, that post would just be too cliche. However, every Halloween, there is always a surge in the number of scary movies people watch, one of my favorite pastime activities. Ergo, I thought I’d create a scary movie guide for those looking for the perfect film. More specifically, an Alfred Hitchcock scary movie guide. For those of you who don’t know, Hitchcock is to scary movies as Meryl Streep is to Oscars.

Nonetheless, here is a list of the best Hitchcock movies to watch for Halloween, depending on your situation.

If you are already in a relationship and want a movie night: Rear Window

Photo provided.
Photo provided.

Picture this. You and your partner order some Chinese takeout, prepare some dessert for later, grab some pillows and blankets, and cuddle up on the couch to watch a movie. That is picture perfect. But you know what would make it better? If the movie that you were watching was Rear Window. This movie is a suspenseful classic. It has a cute love story to accompany the mystery, but without the burning romantic tension plot that you would want to watch with a potential partner. (If you know what I mean, hint hint wink wink.) But don’t worry, the suspense in this movie is still enough to keep you in each other’s arms all night.

The movie you want to watch with a potential partner: Psycho

Photo provided.
Photo provided.

Now this movie… This movie will definitely keep you two glued to each other and hopefully that nearness will cause some long awaited moves to be made. Many haven’t seen this movie, but they still know one iconic scene from it: Janet Leigh in the shower screaming as a knife comes down and stabs her. (And you were afraid of the spider in your shower, psh!)

The movie to watch with friends: The Birds

Photo provided by Wikipedia.
Photo provided by Wikipedia.

Much like the Final Destination movies, this movie is so ridiculous and gory that it can be laughable. In the film, birds begin to attack everyone in a city due to some mysterious reason, and peck the people to death. This movie is disgusting, freaky, and perfect for a scream sesh with some of your close friends.

A single friend: North by Northwest

Photo provided.
Photo provided.

Sometimes you and your friend just want to relax with a beautifully-directed and mind-boggling movie. This is the one. Alfred Hitchcock and Cary Grant together is just pure genius. This movie is a little less suspenseful and more action-based, but it definitely won’t lose your interest. It’s is also perfect for two friends of opposite genders who would like to chill and watch a movie together that won’t bring up too many romantically-charged scenes. (Used another hyphen there. I bet you didn’t think I could use that many, huh?)

Movie to watch with your family: Foreign Correspondent

Photo provided.
Photo provided.

This movie is catchy, suspenseful enough, and keeps the love scenes PG, prefect for when you’re trying to watch a movie with your parents.

Movie to watch alone: Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Photo provided.
Photo provided.

This is the ONLY comedy that Hitchcock directed. His other films have comedic aspects, but this is the only one that was actually meant to fully be a comedy. Treat yourself to it! You don’t want to be scared by yourself. Have a laugh instead! Believe me, being scared by yourself is not fun. Not fun at all.

trick-or-treat. what’s good to eat?!

Alexis Robles & I dressed up as Dora the Explorer and Olaf from Frozen.
Alexis Robles & I dressed up as Dora the Explorer and Olaf from Frozen.

I cannot believe how fast time is flying by! We are already at the end of October! 2016 will be here before you know it! It is the END of October, do you know what this means? It is….

HALLOWEEN!!!!!

This day is full of costumes, scares, spiders, skeletons, but most importantly…. CANDY!!! I have a list of my personal favorite Halloween candy that I want to share with you and why they are my favorite!

10. Milk Chocolate M&Ms 

These are a classic and Halloween would not be right if you did not have some M&Ms. I know that as a kid I would open all of my packets and organize the M&Ms into groups according to their color and then eat it by its color. OCD has been a part of my life since the very beginning! This is at #10 on my list because it is probably the candy that is given out the most on Halloween and my candy bag would have no variety.

9. Dots

I love these because of the variety of fruit flavors that it has. I really love Lime and Lemon (green and yellow) Dots. The chewiness of this candy, changes up the texture of constant chocolate. This is at #9 on my list because this candy sticks to your teeth like glue!!!

8. Dum Dums Lollipops

Lollipops are also another classic! Every kid loves lollipops! It cheers you up when you are down! It is at #8 on my list because if the person throws it in your bag wrong, the wrapper comes off and then it sticks to everything it touches. GROSS.

7. Starbursts

Starbursts also have the chewy texture, but the variety of flavors that it has seems to be endless. The wrapper is edible which is great because sometimes when you peel it off, the wrapper sticks to the candy! This is why it sits at #7 on my list!

6. Twix

Who doesn’t love chocolate covered cookie with caramel?! We’re breaking into the top 6 of my list and these I could eat on the daily! I love the crunch of the cookie and the smooth milk chocolate! Caramel is an added plus! It sits at #6 on my list because once the chocolate has melted, the caramel sticks every where and you are not able to get it off your fingers!

5. Three Musketeers

This chocolate bar is light and airy. It is not too heavy or thick in chocolate. It does get overwhelming when you have too much of it though. Those mini bars will get to you, which is why this is #5 on my list.

4. Milk Duds

Chocolate covered caramels. What more could you possibly want? Nothing but chewy caramel goodness with chocolate on the outside! I could eat these for hours! The only sad part about this is that they come in a small box with maybe four or five and it makes you crave for more!!

3. Kit-Kat

Chocolate wafers! The crunch with a finishing smooth chocolate after is the best! It is also not over bearing! This is in my top 3 Halloween candy because it is not too sweet and the texture is different from any other chocolate candies!

2. Snickers

Chocolate, Nougat, Peanuts, and caramel! The perfect candy bar to eat during Halloween and on the daily! It also helps with hunger, especially when you are out and about on Halloween! This is #2 on my list because I love peanuts and chocolate together!

1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup

This is without a fact, my absolute favorite candy of ALL TIME! Peanut butter and chocolate! The perfect ratio of both! Whether you have yourself a mini cup size or the regular size Reese’s cup, you can never have enough!

You can never go wrong with these Halloween favorites! I want to know what your favorite Halloween candies are and if we have any similar ones! Let me know in the comments! I hope you all have a safe, fun, and candy filled 2015 Halloween!

“Be safe. Be Smart. Make Good Choices” -DB