Social Media Design Sprint

This was by far my favorite assignment that we have done thus far. I had never heard of Canva, but it is an amazing design site.  The tutorials they provided made using the site extremely easy, and I loved the idea of providing free templates, and only charging $1 for a premium option. It really was a lot of fun designing for this project, especially for one of my favorite brands. We were asked to create a Facebook post and cover, along with an Instagram post and Twitter cover. I really enjoy getting to create all of the three major social media sites. My designs are below:Social Media Design SprintSocial Media Design Sprint

Galileo’s World Update!

While our educational blog has sat quietly this Spring and Summer, we have been fast at work in the History of Science Collections preparing for the launch of Galileo’s World. Here is a teaser video produced by some folks in the University of Oklahoma Libraries. Enjoy!

Our team of educators has been hard at work preparing tours and activities to increase the educational experience of the exhibition. Galileo’s World is an exhibition designed to tell the story of science from the time period of Galileo until the present. Such a story, true to the world of Galileo and story of science, will especially emphasize the way various concepts cut across the disciplines. We hope students and teachers of all interests will join us to learn more about the world of Galileo.

For the exhibits located in the Library, we have a room adjacent to the exhibit hall designated as a teaching classroom. We don’t want the experience of your students to simply be that of books in cases. We want the books to come alive! To help with this we are developing activities to do with your students in our teaching classroom. A few weeks ago we had the opportunity to demonstrate a few of the activities with Dorinda Risenhoover’s Mission to Planet Earth group, as part of the NASA Oklahoma Space Grant Consortium.

History of Science Collections Curator, Dr. Kerry Magruder, explains celestial motion to Mission to Planet Earth Students using star atlas images.

We hope you are already planning to bring your students to see the exhibits. With over 20 exhibits in 7 locations, spread over 3 campuses, there is much to see and do! Check out the Galileo’s World website – http://galileo.ou.edu – for more information about events that will be occurring throughout the year.

For K-12 school groups interested in a tour of the OU Library exhibits, contact Brent Purkaple at purkaple@ou.edu.

For the latest education related information for the History of Science Collections, follow us on Twitter, @OULynx, as well as our education blog, www.oulynx.org.

Galileo’s World Update!

Reflection on Design Project

Of all of the projects that we have completed in this class so far, working on Canva has been my favorite. Although there are some limitations to how you can move and adjust photo and text size, I like the layouts and easy maneuverability that it provides. I had to do a lot of photo pasting and placing on apps on my phone but once I got them on the computer, it was relatively easy to get them the way that I wanted in the layout.

I have been working with the company directly and using images they have asked me to use so while they may not be my favorite, I think that the organization is going to be really happy with them and will be able to (hopefully) use all of my designs on their social media.

This project was also my favorite because marketing and social media is something that I have helped with at my job and in my sorority so I would say that I think that I know how to make an effective design that is still appealing to the eye.

Social Media Sprint

This week we were asked to create four social media posts for a brand of our choosing. I chose to center my design around Red Bull Energy Drink–probably because they have sponsored many a late night throughout my college career, but also because I love their adventurous attitude and daring personality.

For that reason, I focused my designs on their brand personality rather than their actual product. I used the same two fonts and placed the logo in the same place in all of my designs to give it a consistent feel. However, I would like to go back and resize all of the logos to the exact same specifications. I know that I didn’t need to include the logo on the designs–after all, they would be appearing on Red Bull sponsored pages. But I decided to include it so that the brand wouldn’t get lost if the images were shared, retweeted, reposted, or even saved as desktop images.

I’m pretty happy with the final results. I have used Canva quite a few times before this, so I was already familiar with the program. The only drawbacks, of course, are that you are far more limited in what you can create. However, it is great for quick design–which is essential for social media posting.

Facebook Cover
Twitter Cover
Social Media Sprint
Instagram Post
Social Media Sprint
Facebook Post

Reflection

I had a lot of fun with Canva.com. I probably did more for non class artwork than I did for the assignment. I used Bernie Sanders 2016 presidential election campaign for my pieces. I wanted the pieces to look somewhat homemade because that is kind of what Bernie’s campaign is about. I think Canva made this pretty easy. I didn’t think about it at the time, but using a political campaign is almost like cheating due to the ample amounts of resources. It wasn’t hard to find a picture or a quote from Bernie. Interesting enough, my favorite is of the pieces is the one with the least text (the FB banner).

Anyway, here they are:

Bernie 2016

Bernie 2016

Reflection

Bernie 2016

Reflection

Bernie 2016

Reflection

Reflection: Social Media Sprint

…and a sprint it was. I was a little rushed, so I’m not 100% satisfied with my design, BUT I LOVE CANVA and I am super excited to use it in the future. It’s  great tool for social media designs. And sooooo easy to get the hang of.

My designs are for Norman Parks and Recreation, focused on the after school program at recreation centers. More specifically, they announce when and where to sign up for the program.

Reflection: Canava

In my PR Publications course this week, we were asked to create a Facebook Cover, Twitter Cover, Facebook Post and an Instagram Post for the company of our choice.

I absolutely loved working with this program. I was able to explore (maybe a little too much) the website and everything it had to offer. Its safe to say I will definitely be working more on canava for future publications!

Facebook Cover

Twitter Cover

Facebook Post

Instagram Post

Reflection: Canva

To start things off, I LOVE CANVA.  This week, as a class, we had to use canva to create different headers and posts for various social media platforms.  I decided to do my friends photography business.  She has taken numerous pictures for me over the years and I wanted to do something for her.  I used her new Fall special, Mini Sessions, where she takes pictures of children in different costumes, such as Mermaids or Super Heroes.  I love using websites that make creating so easy.  I will definitely be using Canva in the Future.

(by the way, I will be having my work published on her website, the proof will come when it is up)

Aug.-Oct. (1)

Fall Mini Sessions

Super HeroMini

WIN a Free MIni Session