Why I stayed

I’ve lived through a cheating, but it hasn’t happened to me. Until three days ago. I can tell you that when I first saw the message my heart skipped a beat, then it shattered into a tiny million pieces. Everything before I knew was pure bliss, but something that morning was off. You might call me crazy but I didn’t break up with him, I wanted to stay with him because for the first time ever…someone actually truly cared about me.

So we worked things out. I can tell you after crying about 20 times that day and not eating because, I was so upset I fell right back into his arms. Only because, I view him as God. He is all I have ever wanted in a boyfriend for he has every quality in life to make me happy. He is cute, quirky, understanding, creative, smart, handsome, wealthy, ambitious, sarcastic and gentle. I am myself and only myself around him. So why wouldn’t I find comfort within him? The only things that makes my heart ache even more, is not knowing how much he truly cares about me. But, the one thing I understand is that me being forgiving has caused me to be more understanding of his mistake.

At the end of the day, we are human. I can’t say I have been perfect in this relationship because, I am far from it. I annoy the shit out of him because, maybe I care too much. I actually have drunkenly kissed another guy while being out while being his girlfriend. I blanked out, my mind wanted to feel like if my heart was in the right place. Boy was it, I remember bawling my eyes out in a dirty bar bathroom because I kissed another person and it wasn’t him. That is the thing I don’t understand is how he could sleep, have sex, fuck, another girl other than me. Am I not good enough? Do I need to be skinnier? What is wrong with me? Have constantly been running through my mind. When his phone goes off, I pray to God it isn’t someone slut wanting him. Because, she doesn’t deserve him. I want to be mad and dislike you for your actions but, it is you at the end of the day. IN my eyes….you made a mistake and I want to move on.

Because, at the end of the day I wouldn’t want to wake up next to this guy that snores so loud I think he is shaking the house. Although at times it is so annoying, it makes me giggle because, at least I know he is alive and well. I like watching him sleep because, sometimes he looks so angry and other times the corners of his mouth will slowly turn up. It is the little things that i have grown to appreciate so much from him that I don’t think at this moment anybody else could achieve them.

SO that is why I stayed. I stayed because, I care. I care so much about him, because as his girlfriend I am more than his cuddle buddy, I am his mom away from home, his best friend, a mentor, a motivator. And thats all I want in life.

Finally Back with my Cousin!

My winter break was very different than I had anticipated it would be.  For the first few days, all I wanted to do was go back to Norman.  I missed my friends, I missed the constant activities, and the conveniency of being able to hang out with anyone and any moment of the day.  Sitting at home alone on the couch after my family had gone to bed extremely early ( judging by my internal clock) I realized how different my lifestyle was in college and how much I missed it.

It didn’t take long though for me to get back in touch with all my Norman friends.  It was a great balance, being able to hang out with my hometown friends but stay in contact with everyone here.  But I was pleasantly surprised by my OU Cousin reaching out to message me and ask me how my break was going.  We exchanged New Years Eve stories and the different places we travelled.  It was fun to stay in contact with her because it was something I wasn’t expecting over the break.

Im glad OU Cousins had the Bingo night shortly after we returned because I finally got to see my cousin again! We usually attend OU Cousin events with her best friend and her cousin but that night it was just us two so we got a lot more talking time and I was able to learn a lot more about her.  We joked about how it was almost pointless to play the game because we have never won anything in our lives before and we were talking too much to hear the numbers  anyway.

I’m so glad I got to reunite with my cousin and I cant wait for the next event!

Stakeholder

This stakeholder is a 17-18 year old female, a senior in high school, trying to choose a school. I want to encourage her to apply to OU. To do this, I need to show her what makes OU different from other schools and cater to her specific interests.

Unit 2

Air pollution causes a variety of problems to both humans and the ecological systems (Whitehead 42). Atmospheric changes associated with the Anthropocene takes “local and global forms, they are all ultimately part of an integrate atmospheric system.” Air pollution has a relationship with climate change and localized forms of atmospheric pollution. Local forms of air pollution causes health problems and smog. Global level has contributions of negative forms of climate change when burning fossil fuels. When burning the same fossil fuels at a local level, it shelters the cities from the worst effects of climate change but still has a negative effect on human health (52).

The country that comes to mind when air pollution and smog are mentioned is China. China’s air pollution is such a problem that the government has been talking about stepping in on the issue and trying to fix it for about a year now, but there could arguably be a moral issue. The moral issue is whether the government’s actions does more harm than good. I don’t see how the Chinese government stepping into the situation would affect people negatively. The consequences from the government stepping in would be beneficial and better the issues of the air pollution in China. The Chinese government can’t do it all on their own though. The rest of the population has to step in and help as well as the rest of the world. The only way to improve the air pollution problem is for the Chinese government and for others to step in and do something.

Rob Stein wrote a blog post with the title, “China Air Pollution Linked to Millions of Deaths,” on NPR, a privately and publicly funded non-profit membership media organization that serves as a national syndicator to a network of 900 public radio stations in the United States (wikipedia). China’s air is so polluted, more than a milling people are dying in that country every year from just breathing. Parents aren’t even letting their children play outside. Some days people can’t even see the building across the street. “Beijing’s Air Pollution Blackest Day,” a blog post written on the Economist, a well-established and trusted news source, states that Beijing, China has “atrocious air quality,” which is putting pressure on officials to release more date bout more kinds of pollutants. Stein states the reason why air pollution is such a problem in China is because of the country’s explosive growth in cars, trucks, power plants, and energy consumption. Stein’s blog post was published in 2013. He says the Chinese government is taking into account that people are beginning to demand clean air. The government has “a nationwide monitoring network that is reporting real time, levels of air pollution for the first time the Chinese government providing transparent levels of air pollution that is shared with public.” The government was supposedly taking “efforts to clean up exhaust from cars and trucks and cut sulfur dioxide from coal-fired power plants in half.” He ends the article by stating that the key is whether the government will follow through.

The government followed through, but they need much more commitment to this problem. Peggy Liu spoke on the TED2014 stage, a conference showcasing important ideas from any discipline, and exploring how they all connect. A blog was posted about Liu’s talk on TEDBlog called China’s Pollution Problem, Everyone’s Problem. Peggy Liu states, “I am so happy to be here, because I can actually breathe air.” She then goes on to state that China’s problem is everyone’s problem because it’s urbanizing at an incredible pace. Liu quotes Baoxing Qiu saying, “The world is at war with energy, and China is the battlefield.” China has some advantages that could help it become a green economy faster than any other in the world. It has centralized control; It has a few key decision makers; It is willing to learn from others; It is willing to experiment and change; It is highly motivated.

Liu believes change in China will happen slowly, but sure. Climate change should begin in China. To the group of individuals who doubt that China can solve their air pollution problems, she says that the six vantages can make small, precise, focussed interventions, which she calls ‘acupuncture points.’ Liu says, “if you are frustrated by the small changes the world is making on climate change, why are you not in China yet?”

Sources

Beijing’s Air Pollution Blackest Day by T.P.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2013/01/beijings-air-pollution

China’s Air Pollution Linked To Millions Of Early Deaths by Rob Stein

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/04/02/176017887/chinas-air-pollution-linked-to-millions-of-early-deaths

China’s pollution problem, everyone’s problem: Peggy Liu at TED2014 written by Kate Torgovnick May

http://blog.ted.com/2014/03/18/chinas-pollution-problem-everyones-problem-peggy-liu-at-ted2014/

Moroccan Mint Tea and Henna Designs

Morocco is an Arabic country in Northern Africa. Beautifully ecologically diverse, Morocco is characterized by regions of both mountains and deserts. Today, the Arabic Flagship program at OU held a celebration of Moroccan heritage, complete with traditional Moroccan mint tea and henna designs. Moroccan mint tea is hot green tea flavored with sugar and spearmint leaves and it’s completely delicious. It’s poured from a special teapot, which makes the drink especially foamy and flavorful. Traditionally, it’s served three times, and the amount of time the tea has been steeping gives each glass a different flavor. If you want to make it at home, it’s fairly simple:

• In a teapot, combine two teaspoons of tea-leaf with half a liter of boiling water, then allow it to steep for at least fifteen minutes.
  • Without stirring, filter the mixture into a different stainless steel pot, so that the tea leaves and coarse powder are removed.
  • Add sugar (about one teaspoon per 100 milliliters).
  • Bring to boil over a medium heat (this helps the sugar dissolve).
  • Fresh mint leaves can be added to the teapot, or directly to the cup.

While we were drinking the delicious tea, we were given henna designs. Henna is  a plant that, when mashed and mixed with water, stains the skin a dark brown color. It’s been used for centuries, and is still used in Morocco today, especially on brides. The paste is applied to skin, given time to dry, sealed with a lemon-oil mixture, then scraped off the skin. The stain deepens over time, but fades within about two weeks. It was such a cool experience and now I have a very unique stain on my left hand! Morocco is a country with so many unique and original traditions, and some day I hope to travel there!

Moroccan Mint Tea and Henna Designs Moroccan Mint Tea and Henna Designs Moroccan Mint Tea and Henna Designs

Hazy Horizons

The world is in a state of turbulence; this is a pretty standard belief. But the average standard of living is higher now than ever before in history. The American people are also, on average, safer and more prosperous than ever. So why do we characterize the world as turbulent? It was this question address by Dr. Thomas Finger, a faculty member at Stanford University and former Deputy Director of National Intelligence for Analysis of the State Department, in his keynote address to round out this year’s International Studies Symposium at the University of Oklahoma.

The world is moving forward and upward, true, but there is still turbulence. This is because, for once, we can’t see the future. We do have enemies today, but they are much harder to identify than in the past. We used to know our enemy, whether Nazi Germany or the communist regime of the USSR. However, using Dr. Finger’s analogy, we have traded in a dragon for baskets of snakes. We cannot focus our energies on a single target, and each of our snakes has to be handled in a different way. Thus, we need to redefine how we deal with the world’s turbulence. Also, part of our problem is the change that has occurred in our definition of national security. We once defined national security in terms of the safety of the US homeland. Now, we have decided that all US citizens must be safe at all times no matter where they are and for what reason. How can we commit to such a promise? Is it even our place to risk our armed forces to save those who intentionally put themselves in harm’s way in the pursuit of glory or riches? I don’t know, but I do know that we need to decide what we can commit to and what is not our battle. The turbulence of this day is different than any we’ve faced before. We need to recognize our new breeds of enemies and develop new methods to fight them while preventing our paranoia from creating more. Our uncertainty cannot be allowed to destabilize us. We must move forward, regardless of the clarity of our horizons.

Curtis in Oklahoma

Edward Curtis was a renowned photographer best known for his documentation of Native American tribes in the West. His mission was to document the authentic lifestyle of Native American tribes before settlers forced them into assimilation. Curtis traveled all over the West with his assistant William Myers to document Native American tribes. At the time, Oklahoma teemed with Native American tribes that had been relocated there by the government. However, Curtis refused to document the Oklahoman tribes for nearly thirty years. To Curtis, the Oklahoma tribes were the epitome of Western transformation. Near the end of his thirty year career, Curtis, whose health was declining, finally decided to document the tribes of Oklahoma to finish the last of his North American Indian portfolio. He took with him a new and unexperienced assistant who proved of little help to him in the field. Curtis first encountered the eastern tribes of Oklahoma and deemed them to be too adjusted to civilization to document their culture. He then travelled to western Oklahoma where he documented the Comanche, Cherokee and Apache. Yet, Curtis dressed many of the tribesmen in traditional garb that he provided since most of the tribesmen no longer wore traditional clothing due to western assimilation. Furthermore, Curtis was so despaired over the white man’s treachery that had led to demolition of traditional tribal mannerisms that he soon left Oklahoma. After his short stay in Oklahoma, Curtis published his last two volumes of the North American Indian which were devoted to the tribes he documented in Oklahoma.

Curtis in Oklahoma

Edward S. Curtis and Native Americans in Oklahoma.

What did Curtis face in Oklahoma in 1926 and why did he wait so long to arrive in Oklahoma?

Edward S. Curtis spent almost 30 years as a ethnographer and photographer in the American West capturing Native American life before he embarked on exploring Oklahoma territory.  In summer of 1926 Curtis and his new assistant, Stewart Eastwood, traveled to Oklahoma to continue work on the 19th Volume of The North American Indian.

When Curtis and Eastwood arrived in Oklahoma they hoped to capture the Native form of the Indians but this is not what they encountered.  It is possible that Curtis waited 30 years to arrive in Oklahoma because he was able to capture Native Americans in their own environment in other states that were more easily accessible to him.  Money could have also been to blame for the reason Curtis waited 30 years to come to Oklahoma because he struggled to get enough money for his travels from the East to the West.

Curtis most likely did not spend much time in the state because the tribal dissemination caused the Indians to take on a new way of life and this made it impossible for Curtis to write an accurate historical text for the 19th Volume he was in the process of writing.  Oklahoma was no longer considered Oklahoma territory and this made it difficult for Curtis to capture traditional Indian lifestyle.  The Indians that Curtis and Eastwood encountered in Oklahoma were not cooperative and the structure of their tribes were completely changing because of the infusion of wealth from discoveries of oil.   Curtis was hoping to encounter the traditional tribe structures that he was portraying through portraits in the previous Native Americans he encountered and was shown in the other volumes of his work.

Curtis was selective with the tribes he chose to document because some tribes were not willing to help with his work; for example, the Osage were uncooperative with him.  Native Americans were attempting to adapt to western society and Curtis was able to witness their new conditions and see how they adjusted to their changing culture.  Curtis was more interested in capturing the Comanche and the Sun Dance of the Southern Cheyenne because their rituals were more interesting to him but their new ways also turned him away. The new way of life of the Native American Indians in Oklahoma made it a struggle to capture any native forms of Indians for his work.